Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The Mix Tape: Art and Artifact

I'm not sure how one captures this topic - probably a lot of personal nostalgia... anyway, NPR interviewed Thurston Moore who this week releases his book Mix Tape...

I also felt I needed to hear these records in a more time-fluid way, and it hit me that I could make a killer mix tape of all the best songs from these records -- and since they were all so short and they all had the same kind of sound and energy, the mix tapes would be a monolithic hardcore rush. I made what I thought was the most killer hardcore tape ever. I wrote 'H' on one side, and 'C' on the other. That night, while we were in bed, and after Kim had fallen asleep, I put the cassette on our stereo cassette player, dragged one of the little speakers over to the bed, and listened to the tape at ultra-low thrash volume. I was in a state of humming bliss. This music had every cell and fiber in my body on heavy sizzle mode. It was sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home