Saturday, September 03, 2005

Interviewers Interviewed

Here's a recent talk with Mike Azerrad. He admits that he felt bad about leaving one band out of his book:

Meat Puppets

Of all the bands not in OBCBYL, that was by far the toughest to leave out. Adding one more SST band would have made it an SST book. So ultimately, it came down to deciding to put them in and drop either Black Flag, the Minutemen, Hüsker Dü, Sonic Youth or Dinosaur Jr. And each of those bands holds a very crucial place in the arc of the book. I really hope that some day someone tells the Meat Puppets story.

Also interviewed recently is Henry Rollins, in his guise as a reader of great fiction. The interviewer is a bit daft, though:

Who are your favourite heroes in fiction?
Thomas Wolfe's Eugene Gant, Selby's Harry, Kafka's K. I don't read the amount of fiction I used to so I am a little rusty as to who I like in that area. I do keep coming back to Wolfe's second book Of Time and the River and Gant's maturing and dealing with the adult world as a young adult. I think I will read and re-read Wolfe for a long time. Same with F. Scott.


Which literary character do you most identify with?
Wolfe's Eugene Gant.

Rollins is ended his 6th(!) USO tour on September 1st.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home